Monday, November 23, 2009

Gobble Gobble



Here's my Thanksgiving cake! As simple as it looks, I nearly threw myself into oncoming traffic on several occasions while making it. I only have an 8 inch square pan, so i just trimmed an inch off each side of an 8 inch cake to make the top layer. MISTAKE. the sides were too weak to hold the buttercream and I wanted to stab myself with my (incredibly blunt) icing spatula. Good news, though, is that I got to use a TON of my birthday presents! I used my turntable (thanks Tommy and Monica!) my leaf icing tips (thanks Aunt Peggy!) my aforementioned icing spatula (thanks Alison!) my cake lifter (thanks Mom and Dad!) and my new apron and disposable pastry bags (thanks Mr. and Mrs. Hribar!)
It also took me the better part of forever to figure out how to make leaves that weren't square. Guess I just have to practice though. And God help me I will one day make a rose as fast and as beautiful as Buddy Valastro .

6 comments:

  1. I was going to ask if you got to use your new gifts, but you have already answered that question. I'm glad you did not stab yourself with my gift. Cake looks awesome. Does the turkey have a name?

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. what is the Turkey made out of?

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha no the turkey does not have a name, you can name him if you want. he's made out of rice krispie treat. theres a ton left over for you to eat when you come home

    ReplyDelete
  4. As usual, the cake is just adorable. I think you would give Buddy Valastro a run for his money. I'm glad you've put your birthday gifts to such good use.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This cake looks awesome! Very impressive Cait!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I commented on this last night. Anyway my comment was "holy awesomeness"

    ReplyDelete